Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Low Carb Eggplant Lasagna


I will be posting a lot of low carb recipes in the next 6 weeks or so. My boyfriend does what he calls his "lent diet" every year at this time - he does not eat any bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, or anything made with those ingredients for the duration of Lent. This was a bit frustrating for me our first 2 Lents together but now I enjoy the challenge of finding new recipes and ways to alter existing recipes to make them low carb. We both love Italian food, which is typically very high in carbs but I've experimented with some variations so that we can still enjoy it. For example, you can replace the noodles in lasagna with thin slices of baked or grilled eggplant.
Use your favorite lasagna recipe with eggplant prepared as follows instead of noodles. Start with a large eggplant and slice it into circles as thinly as you can. Put them on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and lightly brush with them with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake at 400 for about 2-4 minutes (depending on how thick your slices are), then flip them over, season the other side, and bake for another 2-4 minutes. The eggplant slices should be slightly brown and soft. Layer them in your lasagna like you would noodles. You can grill the eggplant instead of baking it, which adds a hint of smokiness.

2 comments:

  1. do we get the recipe for this? I need a healthy recipe for 8 people for a birthday celebration...my dad just found out he has type 2 diabetes and I want to prepare a meal and dessert that is not going to push back his weight loss. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a recipe I loosely follow: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/turkey-lasagna-recipe2/index.html. I say loosely because I often substitute the eggplant for noodles (as you can see by the post), sometimes I leave the meat out and add a layer of sauteed veggies (zucchini, onion, red pepper, etc), and I leave out the goat cheese because I don't like it.

    ReplyDelete