Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Baked Sweet Potato Fries

I will take a sweet potato over a regular potato any day. I love the sweet, rich flavor and it has about 400% of your daily vitamin A! Not to mention less carbs and calories than a white potato. Here is my recipe for baked sweet potato fries. They are a great side dish for a chicken breast or a turkey burger. The seasoning is spicy, salty, and sweet, and you should have most of the ingredients already in your pantry. If you don't have smoked paprika, try a couple of stores (I found it at Safeway) - it is so worth it and you can use it many other recipes.

Baked Sweet Potato Fries

sweet potatoes (1 large potato should feed 2 people for a side dish)
olive oil - about a tablespoon per large potato
seasoning, see below

Cut off the stringy ends of the potatoes and peel them, if desired. Cut into wedges. Try to get the wedge sizes as uniform as possible so they cook evenly. Toss in a bowl with the olive oil. Add some seasoning, toss with your fingers to coat the wedges, then add more if desired and toss again. Place on baking sheet coated with parchment paper or aluminum foil sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 425 for about 30 minutes, or until they are slightly brown on the outside and soft on the inside. I like to flip them with a spatula halfway through the baking time.

Seasoning
This is enough seasoning for at least 2 large potatoes. If you have extra, save it in a plastic baggie. You don't have to measure the ingredients exactly, I usually just eyeball it.

1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon
pinch cayenne pepper, or more if you like them spicier

Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.

3 comments:

  1. I love making these fries! Thanks for sharing your seasoning measurements; I think I had a little too much brown sugar once, and the sugar burned a little bit. I may have also had the oven at 450, which is pretty high. That probably caused some of the light smoking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are AWESOME. I ate almost 2 whole sweet potatoes in one meal the first time I made them - just couldn't stop eating them - highly addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make a similar recipe with potatoes. Dice them and cover them with olive oil, put garlic salt and garlic powder and broil them till golden brown.

    ReplyDelete