Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Slow Cooker Mexican-Style Minestrone

My slow cooker is my "desert island" kitchen appliance - I could not live without it! It makes EVERYTHING taste better and I just love coming home from work to a comforting Crock Pot meal that I threw together in the morning. Here is a yummy yet simple recipe for Mexican-Style minestrone soup that is full of veggies and fiber from the beans.

Slow Cooker Mexican-Style Minestrone

1 onion, chopped
2 poblano peppers, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1 potato, peeled and chopped
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes
1 16 ounce jar mild salsa
8 ounces frozen chopped spinach
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
sour cream for garnish

Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for about 8 hours. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream.

Note: if you are as rushed in the mornings as I am, chop the veggies the night before and keep them in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment